Most probable number of organisms (MPN) present per
100 ml of water. This is an indicator of bacterial
2. Tests to investigate possible source of
bacterial contamination. These tests will be done only
if the MPN value is found unsatisfactory.
i. Confirmatory test for E.Coli which indicates
ii. Isolation of specific bacteria such as
Salmonella, Fecal Streptococci and Shigella.
3. Physical indicators of contamination: PH,
Color, Odor, Turbidity, and Conductivity.
4. Chemical Indicators of Contamination: (a)
Ammonia, (b) Nitrites, and (c) Nitrates.
5. Mineral Content Estimation. These test will
assess whether the level of naturally dissolved
minerals are within permissible limits.
i. Fluoride content. This indicates risk of
ii. Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, Sulfates, and Chlorides.
6. Indicators of Industrial Pollution: Alkalinity
Test and Total Dissolved Solids.
7. Quality of Treatment Assessment.
8. Interpretation, based on test results and sample